Re: Fwd: Proposal for work on an efficient, browser-friendly, HTTP-based communication protocol for fine-grained information exchange

  [re-post from atom-protocol@mic.org at Julian's request]

You might consider looking at multipart/related POST of XML (or JSON)
and document content data.

An XForms binding would also be a good match, since XForms is designed
to be a REST client, and it has good support for structured XML data
such as Atom, and for POST and PUT of multipart/related data.

XForms already has a high adoption rate in the CMS / ECM industry
already (our own product DocuShare, Documentum/EMC, Alfresco, Atlassian,
Nuxeo, SmartSite iXperion, MarkLogic, etc.)

There are good, free JavaScript implementations of XForms (Ubiquity
XForms from IBM et al, XSLTForms from AgenceXML) and free server-side
ones as well (Orbeon, Betterforms, etc.).

Not all of these free implementations support multipart/related POST of
XML with attached documents, but until browser support for MVC
frameworks gets better, you can define an alternate wire syntax using
multipart/form-data with one field containing a string of XML.  A
similar approach has been used in old implementations of JavaScript's
XHR which don't support DELETE and PUT, by setting a well-known header
to communicate the real intent and using POST.

Leigh Klotz
Xerox Corp.