Re: Comments on Action:draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-03

Julian,

On Nov 27, 2009, at 3:56 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Jan Algermissen wrote:
>> Forgot to insert:
>> What about:
>>>

>>> I feel there should be the notion of 'modification of checked-out
>>> working copy' in there but I don't mean to say that your above
>>> wording isn't suitable also.
>>>
>>> Jan
>
> Hi Jan,
>
> if I understand you correctly you say that the proposed text
> explaining checkin/checkout should mention that it applies to
> modifying the working copy.

What I tried to say is that the notion of working-copy goes hand in
hand with the notion of checking out. Or, to view it from a different
angle: when a server is versioning, it can do so either implicitly (on
its own) upon a modification of the resource that is being versioned
by the server or it can require the user to do it explicitly by
cheking out->working copy->update working copy->check-in. Without a
notion of check-in the working-copy notion is useless because it will
never lead to a new version.

> I believe that's correct, but would require a forward reference to
> the term "working copy" that I'd like to avoid. (If you meant to say
> something else, please clarify).

I think the notion of versioning is orthogonal to the notion of
checkout/checkin and the draft seems to be centered around it. If a
resource is being versioned by the server, all relations make sense,
except working-copy. Only for working-copy you need to introduce
checkin/checkout. It is just another means putting the versioning
'action' in the hands of the client.

(But please takte this only as input - the draft just triggered an
analysis process and that keeps going :-)
I cannot judge if it is significant enough to justify work on the
draft or even this exchange...

> With respect to replacing
>
> "Other servers allow modification, in which case the checkout/
> checkin operation may happen implicitly."
>
> by
>
> "Other servers allow modification and perform versioning without
> requiring an explicit checkout operation."
>
> ...: this really seems to be equivalent; any particular reason why
> you feel your text is clearer?

The latter IMHO takes the focus away from checkin/checkout which I see
as an absolute edge-case (being non DAV and
non CMIS biased :-)

But then....word smithing I guess.

Jan

> Best regards, Julian