Re: Comments on Action:draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-03

On Nov 26, 2009, at 2:29 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> "When a resource is put under version control, it becomes a
> "versioned resource". Many servers protect versioned resources from
> modifications by considering them "checked in", and by requiring a
> "checkout" operation before modification, and a "checkin" operation
> to go back to the "checked-in" state. Other servers allow
> modification, in which case the checkout/checkin operation may
> happen implicitly."
>

> When a resource is put under version control, it becomes a
> "versioned resource". Many servers protect versioned resources from
> modifications by considering them "checked in", and by requiring a
> "checkout" operation before modification, and a "checkin" operation
> to go back to the "checked-in" state. Other servers allow
> modification and perfrom versioning without requiring an explicit
> checkout operation.

I feel there should be the notion of 'modification of checked-out
working copy' in there but I don't mean to say that your above wording
isn't suitable also.

Jan

> Best regards, Julian
>

> Julian Reschke wrote:
>> Hi Jan,
>> first of all thanks for the feedback!
>> Jan Algermissen wrote:
>>> Julian,
>>>
>>> some comments on the link relation draft:
>>>
>> > 2. Terminology
>>>
>>> It is not clear to me, what the meaning of 'check out' and 'check
>>> in'.
>> Yes, we need to add text here. We originally started with the
>> definitions with RFC 3253 (WebDAV versioning), but later on decided
>> later on to just rely on generic definitions to make this work
>> better with CMIS and JCR.
>>> Also, the text (IMO) creates the impression that versioning can
>>> only take place when 'check out' and 'check in' are applied.
>>> However, a resource could also be versioned by the server upon any
>>> modification made by a client regardless of any 'checking out' or
>>> 'checking in'. The link relations specified would still make sense.
>> Indeed; and that's something that can even happen in WebDAV
>> versioning (through the various modes of auto-versioning).
>>> Assuming that 'checking out' and 'checking in' are operations on
>>> resources, I think the draft should address how clients achieve
>>> these operations. This would at least involve another link
>>> relation and specification how to use the linked resource to
>>> perform a checkout.
>> These kinds of operations are specific to the protocol in which
>> they are used, while the link relations are meant to be generic;
>> thus I'd avoid to go that way.
>> For now, I've added this to the issues list: <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-brown-versioning-link-relations-issues.html#issue.checked-out
>> >. I'll try to make a change proposal soonish.
>>> Or am I misunderstanding what the draft is trying to do?
>>>
>>> Appendix A
>>>
>>> It should be 'working-copy' instead of 'working-resource'.
>> Indeed. Thanks for catching this.
>>> I am glad to see this happening. Covers a lot of stuff that comes
>>> up in almost every project. Thanks.
>> That's good to hear, because defining generic link relations
>> doesn't make sense unless there are generic use cases for them :-)
>> Best regards, Julian

Jan Algermissen

Mail: algermissen@acm.org
Blog: http://algermissen.blogspot.com/