Re: Thoughts on relation to WebDAV

On 26.05.2008, at 00:04, Werner Baumann wrote:
> So support for MKCOL means the ability to reject every MKCOL-request
> with "any valid HTTP code".

Well, as I said: "that is just how I read the combination of the specs".
My interpretation of "combination" in the given scenario is rooted on
the title of RFC 2518: "HTTP Extensions for Distributed Authoring".
HTTP Extension means for me that the RFC _extends_ the HTTP
specification, not that it restricts it. If a client is a WebDAV
client, it automatically is a full HTTP/1.1 client, hence must support

But really, this thread already went too far, points have been
exchanged and are archived for further consideration.
In the end I'm mostly concerned with real world interoperability, and
I think that the important question raised by Julian is still "where
does it matter"?
(I think) To usefully continue the discussion you must transparently
answer the question why, for a client, a readonly WebDAV collection
returning 403 is different to a server which has an IP address
protection for MKCOL on a collection.

Thanks,
   Helge