Re: [Ietf-carddav] Comments on draft-daboo-carddav-02

Hi Lisa,

--On July 16, 2007 10:27:30 AM -0700 Lisa Dusseault
<lisa@osafoundation.org> wrote:

>> Now wouldn't it be nice if a client could check for changed
>> resources *and* get their content in a single request? That seems
>> to be something obvious missing from the multiget report.
>
> I've worked on some synch stuff and it would be even nicer to make
> replication general, not specific to CalDAV.  So I agree, and I'm happy
> Cyrus is doing some work on that.

Yes its true that its nice to be able to do all that, and the
synchronization report extension was designed to allow that with the
extension of using the "pseudo" properties for at least CalDAV and CardDAV.

Note however, that clients may not always want to get the data. In fact
that could be a bad thing to do if there have been lots of changes. Since
the client has no control over the amount of information the server would
return, and since resource bodies may be much larger than the set of
properties otherwise asked for, this could be a big problem on limited
capacity devices or over slow links.

What I would expect is that a client would use the sync. report to find the
list of changed resources and then do a series of multigets to "page"
through the changes and update its cache making sure that each response is
likely to be within any resource constraints it might have. So I think
there is a need for both the sync. and multiget reports as separate
features. Of course we could combine all these into one, but then we might
end up with one big monster...

--
Cyrus Daboo