Re: redux: email-over-webDAV-as-IMAP-replacement [WAS Re: RFC2518bis]

Hi robert,

--On March 10, 2007 9:55:20 PM +0000 robert burrell donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:

>> Looking forward to submitting SEARCH and BIND, and then to go on working
>> on RFC2518bisbis, RFC3253bis and RFC3744bis as private submissions.
>
> about nine months ago, i posted about using email over web dav as an
> IMAP replacement
> (http://www.nabble.com/email-over-webDAV-as-IMAP-replacement--tf1897019.h
> tml#a5208546).   i received helpful and friendly replies.
>
> i'm still interested in this area (and have found that there are other
> people also interested in this problem). i had hoped to come back to
> this group with questions once i had an experimental client and server
> coded. (realistically, this would be a few months off.)
>
> in light of the pending closure of this working group, does anyone have
> updated advice for me?

Continue discussion on this list. The mailing list will not go away even
though the IETF working group has closed now. You can work on this effort
as an individual submission to the IETF (i.e. one not done under the
auspices of a working group).

PS I would be interested in helping out in such an effort, having spent a
long time in the IMAP world, and more lately in the WebDAV world with
CalDAV and CardDAV. However, don't call it an IMAP "replacement" - just as
IMAP is not a replacement for POP, this would not be a replacement for IMAP
which has been around for a long time and is fairly well entrenched in a
number of areas. Better would be to describe it as an "alternative" to IMAP
and POP. Just as many sites today run POP and IMAP services together,
chances are a WebDAV-email service will be run along side the others too -
assuming it provides some benefits for those that want it.

--
Cyrus Daboo