Re: MS Webfolder WebDAV Client: Authentication issue with handling of replies to PUT requests

Andy Staudacher schrieb:
> Thanks for the hint. I guess your idea is that this specific client might
> not expect the server to send the response before reading the complete
> request.
>
> Since our WebDAV server is a PHP script running on a webserver, we don't
> have control over that though.
> The PHP engine always reads the complete HTTP request before the script is
> given control. If files are part of a HTTP request (POST, PUT), PHP stores
> the file(s) on disk as temporary file(s), gives the script control to copy
> them and once the script terminates, it deletes the temporary file(s) again.
>
> So you might be onto something, but it would be exactly the other way
> around. Maybe MS Webfolders expects a 401 response before the body is
> transmitted. But that would be very, very weird to say the least.

If the client sends the request with

	Expect: 100-continue

(see <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#rfc.section.8.2.3>),
that would indeed the correct behavior. The problem is that this is very
hard to implement in the generic case...

> (For the record, just to try all alternatives I moved the PHP's php://input
> stream reading before the auth check to see if that helps. It didn't.)
>
> Thanks for all your input,
>  - Andy

Best regards, Julian