Re: Comments on the "new" 2518--Display Name

Kevin Wiggen wrote:

> Ok let me make sure I understand both Julian and Geoff correctly.
>
> Assume I am the architect of Microsoft Web Folders (a Webdav client).  I
> am using Webdav to represent a file system to the user and want people
> to use windows explorer like functionality to be able to
> move/copy/delete/put/rename/etc files on a web server.
>
> When my client does a Propfind to the server to request information to
> show to the user, I MUST use the last segment of the URL in my display
> to show the name of the resource.  It is possible for me to show display
> name somewhere else (in a details screen or in a column next to last
> update date), but the name of the resource shown to the user should be
> from the URL.
>
> Thus if my client attempts to view one of Geoff's repositories where
> "those which have large flat collections, where the resources in the
> collection have obscure last segments, such as UUIDs," we will be
> showing UUID in the interface and display name somewhere else.
>
> I think there is confusion over what is expected and possible by file
> system like Webdav clients (which I would argue are the most used Webdav
> clients in the world as MS and Apple have them native) and some clarity
> in the spec around the use of display name would be nice.
>
> Kevin

Kevin,

I'm not sure exactly what you're asking for. DAV:displayname never had
any guarantee to be unique within a collection, many servers are
implemented that way, and no generic client I'm aware of gets this wrong
(in the latest version).

Best regards, Julian