RE: Comments on the "new" 2518--Display Name

Ok let me make sure I understand both Julian and Geoff correctly.

Assume I am the architect of Microsoft Web Folders (a Webdav client).  I
am using Webdav to represent a file system to the user and want people
to use windows explorer like functionality to be able to
move/copy/delete/put/rename/etc files on a web server.

When my client does a Propfind to the server to request information to
show to the user, I MUST use the last segment of the URL in my display
to show the name of the resource.  It is possible for me to show display
name somewhere else (in a details screen or in a column next to last
update date), but the name of the resource shown to the user should be
from the URL.

Thus if my client attempts to view one of Geoff's repositories where
"those which have large flat collections, where the resources in the
collection have obscure last segments, such as UUIDs," we will be
showing UUID in the interface and display name somewhere else.

I think there is confusion over what is expected and possible by file
system like Webdav clients (which I would argue are the most used Webdav
clients in the world as MS and Apple have them native) and some clarity
in the spec around the use of display name would be nice.

Kevin