Re: Summary of ETag related issues in RFC2518bis

On Mon, 19 Dec 2005, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Jim Whitehead wrote:
>> I'd like clarification as well.
>>
>> It's fine for WebDAV to place additional requirements on base HTTP servers.
>> I don't see anything in the definition of PUT or of the Etag header that
>> would prevent Etag being returned by PUT.
>
> That's not the issue here.
>
> The question here is whether an ETag returned upon PUT is for the entity the
> client sent (1), or for the entity the server would send upon a subsequent
> GET (2).

My implementation returns the ETag that asubsequent GET would see, so
option (2). Ans I am in the case where the PUT entity and the served
entity will not be the same, as there are CVS actions done during the PUT,
so possible keyword extensions, etc...

--
Yves Lafon - W3C