Re: XML InfoSet and property value preservation

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> In WebDAV implementations today, the only InfoSet piece that we know
> isn't always preserved on properties is the namespace prefix (and thus
> the namespace declaration attributes might also be rewritten).   I'd

I'm not sure how you can say that. I just tried with comments and PIs in
Apache/moddav, and they aren't preserved. Do you have any data
supporting your claim?

> assume we want to encourage new implementations to have at least as much
> preservation/fidelity as existing implementations, and to make
> implementations tend to be consistent with each other.  So why would we
> allow servers to strip out stuff like comments?  If servers reliably

Well, because commments are just that -- comments?

> preserve those today, I don't see why we'd explicitly allow those to
> stop being preserved.

This I agree with, but it seems that we don't have the necessary
supporting data.

> Is there some reason why we would choose to be lax on this in the
> specification?

I don't want to be lax. We should either document what we have today (if
we want to advance RFC2518), or document what we tjink would be good
(staying at proposed). Throwing in things like PIs, but keeping out
*essential* things like prefixes doesn't make any sense to me, though.

Best regards, Julian