Re: new stuff in draft edits

I just don't think we will every finish if we have to review every single
little change on the list before it is made. I would rather assume that the
editor of a document can mostly get it right, then fix what they get wrong
instead of assuming that they will get it all wrong.

We call these things drafts because they are a draft for the WG to review,
comment on, and fix. We call the folks writing them an author because they
are taking their best stab at coming up with a draft that the WG can form
consensus around. Now when it is a WG drafts, such as this one, the author
does need to reflect the things WG agreed to into the document because in
the end it will not move forward without WG consensus. If the author of a
working group document is maliciously failing to put in the things the WG
has agreed to, I will find a new author for the document. However, lets not
confuse this with the author trying to find some draft text that we can all
agree to and then having the WG help refine that text until it is something
we can all live with.

A natural difficulty with this is that it is non trivial to see all the
change to a document. I really don't know any way to solve this other than
diff tools. It good to catch the major diffs in the changes section of the
document but it's unreasonable to get all the trivial ones. The changes
being made to this document are small enough and local enough that it is not
that hard to catch them with diff.

I'm saying this poorly - it's hard to describe the difference between
reasonable changes and an author being way off in left field and introducing
garbage that the WG would never agree to.

I really like us to focus on what changes to we have to make to draft to get
it to the point it is all something we can live with. I hope the bugs are a
way of focusing on these issues.

Cullen

PS. Consider this email a draft :-) I (and we) might have to refine it a few
times before I get it right.

>>> (http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-ietf-webdav-rfc2518bis-