Re: Comments on bind-08

I agree with Julian.  A new section of text or example can do more
harm than good (a classic being the "MOVE is logically a COPY/DELETE"
section from 2518).

So I think it is a reasonable criteria to require that any proposed
addition be motivated by at least one example of a misunderstanding
that may arise with the current text.

Julian wrote on 11/30/2004 01:17:15 PM:

> Lisa Dusseault wrote:
> >> Jim: I'm OK with adding the paragraph, but what was the possible
> >> misunderstanding
> >> that this additional text was intended to clear up?  How else could a
> >> Depth=infinity
> >> COPY work?
> >

> > I agree with Jim that we should add clearer wording here.  The
ingenuity of
> > implementors is great, and that includes a surprising ability to come
> > different conclusions than the writers of a specification.
>
> I'd still like to know how it is clearer...
>
> >> I agree with Julian.  A version is a new resource created by the
> >> CHECKIN method.
> >> According to section 2.6, a new resource must be assigned a new
> >> resource-id,
> >> so each new version needs to be assigned a new, distinct resource-id.
> >

> > Great -- so we agree on what should happen.  As Jim suggests,
> > let's put it in the spec.
>
> Again, before we put additional spec into the spec, it should be clear
> what problem it solves. I understand that you lean to "more is better",
> but please acknowledge that many people writing specs disagree.

That