Re: Request for feedback: WebDAV property datatype draft

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> Having the data-types spec stay out of arrays would certainly simplify
> it, so I can't object to that approach.  Certainly I would think that if
> somebody does an array/list/set property draft later the property
> data-type stuff can be re-used then.

Yep. So is this a vote in favor of dropping Appendix A? (I would put it
into a separate document, then).

> What about clarifying that XML-valued properties don't need a data type?

I do not agree they don't need one. As far as I concerned, the question
of whether the property has just simple text content has nothing to do
with whether it should have a type.

For instance, it would make sense to have a common type identifier for
WebDAV properties that use the popular "href*" content format.

> I do disagree with the approach of minimizing examples for the reasons
> you cited.  Isn't it a *bad* thing if people have different tastes about
> types and optimal serializations, and doesn't that lead to lower
> interoperability?  Within an experimental protocol, that approach may be

Yes.

> acceptable, but still undesirable.

It's simply an area I don't want to cover here. IMHO, it makes perfect
sense to state "if you have type information, this is how you can send
it" without actually defining particular types (and instead, relying on
existing type libraries).

Best regards, Julian