Re: Charter update: remove property registry task?

Lisa Dusseault wrote:

> I'd like to find out if there is consensus on removing the "property
> registry" task from the WebDAV WG charter.
>
> http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/webdav-charter.html
>
> We've attempted to discuss this at various WG meetings, and we've never
> made any clear progress in defining the task -- so we don't even know
> whether this would be an Internet-Draft that could become an RFC,
> possibly defining an IANA process, or whether this would be a site or
> non-IANA process of some kind.  We also have never had a volunteer so
> we've never had anybody working on this item.  Perhaps nobody's ever
> found it to be really necessary.
>
> Note that even if it's removed from the charter, progress can still be
> made if somebody finds the motivation.  For example, a property registry
> site could be developed with feedback from the Working Group, even if
> it's not a WG deliverable.
>
> If we don't remove it from the charter, then we need volunteers ASAP to
> work on that item, and clear ideas what the WG deliverable really is.
> Please weigh in.

I vote for removing it. Clearly there's no energy for working on a
universal registry, nor do we seem to need it.

Related: I've been working on scripts that compile information about
method names, header names, property names, pre/postcondition names (and
so on) from a set of RFC2629-XML-formatted documents. Basically I'm
using a set of well-defined entries of index entries, and just combine
them into a common document. This will give us the property index at
least for all working-group documents (it's not quite ready yet, but if
people are interested, I can produce an example in the next few days).

Regards, Julian