Re: Client specified properties

Jeff Thompson wrote:

> I've read through the WEBDAV spec and Lisa's book, but there is one area
> that isn't quite clear to me.
>
> Is it expected that a WEBDAV server should accept arbitrary dead
> properties that the client PROPPATCHs?

Yes, according to the spec.

> We've been watching the messages sent by Windows Explorer and we see
> that it sends several Windows specific properties in a PROPPATCH. Our
> system naturally has the required properties (or can leave them blank in
> specific cases). However, we do not have any need for arbitrary client
> specified properties. Does WEBDAV (clients, servers, or specifications)
> expect that we do have this capability?

Clients: some. In reality, there are of course servers that do not
support dead properties, and clients have to cope with that in some way
(just give up, or try to continue without dead properties). As long as
the PROPPATCH request is rejected in a proper way (such as "Forbidden"
or "Not Implemented"), this shouldn't be a big problem in practice.

Of course it's *better* to support dead properties.