From: w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org] On
Behalf Of Nevermann, Dr., Peter
Sent: Monday, September 08, 2003 8:44 AM
To: 'w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org'
Subject: RE: DAV:modificationdate (was bindings-last-modified (was RE: DAV
:getlastmodified of collections))

I would prefer a more general new property, e.g. DAV:modificationdate as
proposed by Julian some days ago in another thread (I added a few words
about *bindings* of a collection to Julian's wording):

    "A proper way to address this may be to define a new optional property
    (if we make it optional, we may be able to get it into RFC52518bis),
    for instance:

    Name:        modificationdate
    Namespace:   DAV:
    Purpose:     Records the time and date the resource was modified.
    Value:       date-time
            compliant resources.  If present, it contains a timestamp
            of the moment when the resource was last modified (i.e., the
            moment when content and/or properties last changed,
            or, when the bindings of a collection last changed).
            This property is live and protected. The Internet date-time
            format is defined in [RFC3339], see the ABNF in section 5.6.
    COPY/MOVE behavior: This property value SHOULD be kept during a
            MOVE operation, but is re-initialized when a resource is
            created with a COPY. It should not be set in a remote COPY.

    <!ELEMENT modificationdate (#PCDATA) >"

Probably, w.r.t. properties, we need to clarify whether:
1) changes to *all* properties ought to be taken into account for setting
the modification date,
or only
2) changes to the *dead* properties plus some selected live properties (e.g.
non-protected properties).

I would go for 2).

Regards,
Peter