RE: redirect ref spec, update on issue lc-85-301

Lisa,

I don't think it's up to me to answer that. The purpose of the Redirect Ref
spec is

1) to define how existing redirects behave inside WebDAV collections and

2) how to author redirects.

The HTTP spec has decided to distinguish between these types, and therefore
it makes sense to reflect that distinction in the redirect ref spec as well.
I imagine that browsers should remember "how they got" to the URL when the
user decides to bookmark the URL.

This feature was requested during the Last Call in spring 2000, and it seems
that there was WG consensus to add that (at least this is what the issues
list says). As storing a type seems to be trivial when the target URL needs
to be stored anyway, and as Apache indeed distinguishes between those types,
I feel it makes sense to have it authorable as well.