Re: Interest in standardizing Batch methods?

Julian Reschke wrote:

>Well,
>
>but at the start of the day, somebody needs to write down a spec that we
>can discuss. So far, nobody has done that.

And boy, the semantics of batch requests are pretty hairy. At the end of
the day is there much benefit? Is each request in a batch atomic and/or
is the entire batch? (Do you have multiple levels of transactions?) How
do you cache a batch? (Boy, there's a long topic...)

The HTTP overhead for multiple requests (made over the same TCP
connection, mind you) is small (arguably, couldn't be much smaller) and
if you want atomic batches, locks do an ok job of it.

I've certainly considered something like a PUT/PROPPATCH combination
(for example if you had "required dead properties") but it's probably
just easier to do a null lock and the two requests separately.