RE: response to comment ...

Correct. But it says that properties are on resources, not on URLs:

"Properties are pieces of data that describe the state of a resource.
Properties are data about data."

> > The Webfolder client indeed displays the displayname instead of the last
URI
> > segment when present (and even uses in in the "href" column instead of
the
> > real URI). This works well when
> >
> > - the last part of the displayname consistently is identical
> > to the last URI segment (mod. URI escaping) (IIS)
>
> Yeah, this is what WFS does, I believe we consciously mimicked IIS in
> order to work well with Web Folders.
>
> > - DAV:displayname is just a dead property that most of the
> > time isn't set (moddav)
>
> Do you know what happens when it is set to some value other than the
> last URI segment?  Does any client get confused when the URI ends in
> "index.html" but the displayname shows "Index of files here"?

Not that I'm aware of.

> More interestingly, what happens if there are two resources in a
> collection which have the same resourcename -- does this confuse the
> client deeply?

Not the (webfolder) client, but certainly the user :-)

> > If we consider this an interop problem, we should deprecate
DAV:displayname
> > (because that's the only way to "fix" the webfolder client)  and come up
with
> > a new property with the same semantics.
>
> That might be cool. Exchange 2000 uses a "subject" property across many
> types of resources (emails, appointments, maybe even Office documents)
> to serve as a truly user-displayable value or "friendly name".  Its
> value is not unique within a collection, so multiple emails in the same
> folder can have the subject "RE: response to comment ...".  And it is
> writable, not protected, yet it is given a default value selected by the
> server when the resource is created, so that a collection doesn't show a
> lot of blank friendly names.

OK. Maybe we should investigate that.