From: Lisa Dusseault [mailto:lisa@xythos.com]
Sent: Tuesday, March 04, 2003 2:52 PM
To: 'Jason Crawford'
Cc: 'WebDAV'
Subject: RE: Move and Delete (was: bind draft issues)

> > Would you be able to do that -- unmap a collection -- even
> if one of its
> > children were locked? The person with the lock would then
> lose it and
> > their resource, right?
>
> What you are implying is correct.
> If a child is locked via a WebDAV lock and the binding to be
> DELETEd is
> protected by the protected URL of that lock, then it can't be
> unmapped.
> If the inode of the child is locked, then I believe it can be
> unmapped.
> If it's locked by a Win32 lock then it probably can't be unmapped in
> the file system, so it's probably best to reject the DELETE at the
> WebDAV layer.

I don't think the bindings specification makes clear what you've just
said here. It's probably because you've internalized a data model that's
been discussed on the list, and are making conclusions based on the
model.  This kind of information should be added to the specification,
because even when models are written down, they can easily be
interpreted differently by newcomers.

Lisa