From: Julian Reschke [mailto:julian.reschke@gmx.de]
Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 6:12 AM
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org
Subject: RE: A case for GETSRC (or other mechanism to that effect)

>From: w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org [mailto:w3c-dist-auth-request@w3.org]On
Behalf Of Eric Sedlar
>Sent: Thursday, February 28, 2002 10:43 AM
>To: Peter Raymond; Julian Reschke; w3c-dist-auth@w3c.org
>Subject: RE: A case for GETSRC (or other mechanism to that effect)
>

>Comments inlined...

To all: please do not post in HTML. It makes commenting hard, and it breaks
the web archive.

>The proposal would be that Translate: F would only have an effect on the
GET method, and could be either ignored or forbidden on other methods ( one
of the nits that Geoff picked at >at the dinner where we won him over)...

I see. I guess he dind't have to pay his bill either :-)

>There is certainly interoperability for Translate: F, so I don't see why
that needs to go into a separate spec.

It's not defined in RFC2518, so it can't easily be put into it's revision.
If you want to put it in, you'll have to get agreement on lots of issues
(some of which we already discussed). As there currently is *no* technical
documentation about the Translate header, it will be hard to get proper
definitions of it's semantics (saying: "whatever Frontpage does" doesn't
count).

>>- I am also interested in managing more than just websites and may need a
more advanced way of
>>  navigating relationships (perhaps between design documents and the code
that implements them or
>>  between firmware and circuit board designs etc).  This can best be
addressed in another specification.
>The issue of how the executable is generated is a separate question from
getting at the executable content itself (see my reply to Julian's email).
>Regards,

I think you currently consider only a few special use cases. DAV:source was
designed to address a more generic problem. I think it can be fixed, and we
should try this.