Re: [dav-dev] Re: Problem with OfficeXP and Accented characters

Accidentally caught by the spam filter.

- Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Sharp [mailto:csharp@apple.com]
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2002 8:02 AM
To: Taisuke Yamada
Cc: dav-dev@lyra.org; w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Subject: [Moderator Action] Re: [dav-dev] Re: Problem with OfficeXP and
Accented characters

The only reason we had to do this is that we translate UTF8 into MacOS
Roman on the backend. One of the requirements was for OS9 users to be
able to interop with OSX and vica versa via the iDisk service.

In most cases, we use this hint "x-mac-japanese" to unambiguously
translate UTF8 into Mac OS Roman. Further, for some reason OSX prefers
fully decomposed UTF8 on the return trip. Based on a suggestion from
Julian, I believe, we only provide this functionality to non OSX based
User-Agents.

Chris