RE: RFC2518 (WebDAV) / RFC2396 (URI) inconsistency

1. I agree with Julian that we should make the 2518 revise be
namespace-compliant.

2. I agree with Julian's suggestion that we table this for a few
weeks while Lisa and others try again to get the "DAV:" string made
an acceptable namespace.

3. If we can't get "DAV:" accepted, I agree with using Jason's suggestion:

At 11:06 AM -0500 11/23/01, Jason Crawford wrote:
>1) We pick a second URI for our namespace.  I'll suggest
>http://webdav.org/base.
>2) We update the spec to use this new URI in the examples.
>3) We deprecate  DAV: as the namespace URI in the spec.
>4) ASAP implementors start accepting the new URI in addition to DAV:
>5) Later implementors can start transmitting the new URI.

FWIW, I believe that making this change *will* eventually cause older
DAV clients and servers to stop working, which I think was something
Lisa raised in a different way.  I believe this because I think
eventually the cost-savings of using common namespace-processing
technology will cause the hand-written
backwards-compatibly-accept-DAV: patches to become too expensive, at
which point they will go away.  So

4. I agree that we will need an indicator (in OPTIONS) of
spec-revision, and I believe that servers which *don't* accept "DAV:"
should indicate that they are not "DAV servers" using the indicators
that older clients look for.

     dan
--
Daniel Brotsky, Adobe Systems