RE: RFC2518 (WebDAV) / RFC2396 (URI) inconsistency

The pragmatic arguments: I don't think it's really feasible to change the
bits on the wire now.  Obviously, it hasn't been a problem in the past, and
it hasn't harmed interoperability.  I've never heard of XML parsers that
object to that namespace, and I'm not clear why the single tool that does
object to that namespace is required for DAV servers/clients.

Changing the namespace DAV uses in all its bodies would be a tremendous
change -- and I don't see what the need is for such a major change.

Besides, even if we tried to "fix" RFC2518 on this issue, that's not the
only place where it crops up.  I know of other namespaces used in shipped
software products where the namespaces look like a string of characters
ending in ':'.   Changing the "DAV:" prefix won't fix those, whereas a
loosening of either the XML namespaces requirements or the URI requirements
would.

The theoretical argument I haven't heard yet:  If the definition of this
type of URI is "<scheme>:<scheme-specific-part>", why can't the
scheme-specific part string be the null string -- as long as that's legal
for the declared scheme?

lisa