RE: content type for WebDAV request/response bodies, was: [ACL] Access Control Protocol -07 submitted

From: Julian Reschke

> From: Matt Timmermans
> > If the property's namespace ends in "/" or ":", then the
> property HREF is
> > namespace+local_name, just like Today.
> >
> > Otherwise, the property HREF is namespace+"#"+local_name.
>
> How do you encode the local name? Given an arbitrary URI, how
> do you select
> base URI and element name? ...and so on. It doesn't work.

To encode a general local name, you use UTF8 encoding and %xx escapes, as
recommended in section B.2.1 of the HTML spec.

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-html40/appendix/notes.html#h-B.2.1

To get the namespace URI and local name from a property URI, just scan
backwards for the last '#', '/', or ':', and split the URI.  If the left
part ends in #, then remove it.

> > WebDAV would have to codify this in the description of
> > DAV:keepalive.  This
> > would at least be compatible with most current environments.
>
> I would care more if there is a single server implementation
> that actually
> implements keepalive. Is there?

Sort of.  Depending on the context, our server can either satisfy any
keepalive request, or it cant satisfy any keepalive request.  In the latter
situation, we fail the copy if keepalive is specified.

But a server doesn't have to implement keepalive to be broken by changing
the content model -- it only has to validate requests.