Re: RFC2518 (WebDAV) / RFC2396 (URI) inconsistency

On Mon, Nov 19, 2001 at 07:17:46PM -0500, Matt Timmermans wrote:
> Wow, that's annoying!
>
> It seems to me that fixing RFC2396 to allow an empty opaque_part would be
> best, unless someone can recall any rationale for disallowing it in the
> first place.  It looks quite arbitrary.

More arbitrary than defining a new URI scheme *and* using xmlns just to
replace DAV: with D:?  Just choose one, please.  Why on earth would we
want to change the definition of URI in 2396 to allow

   scheme:

to be a valid URI?  It isn't a valid URI.

As you said, RFC 2518 was based on an early draft of XML namespaces, and
it will need to be updated for that in any case (or stop using xmlns).

....Roy