Re: GETSRC & MULTIPUT

On Tue, Oct 30, 2001 at 12:19:27PM -0800, Eric Sedlar wrote:
> The fundamental question that must be addressed is whether or not the source
> resource and the output resource are the same.  To me, the question boils
> down to wanting to have symmetry in my methods.  If I call PROPPATCH, I can
> then use PROPFIND to see the properties I just wrote.  We need the same
> thing for PUT.  If I call PUT on a URL, I want a method that gets me back
> the stuff I just PUT at that URL.

GET already provides that -- if you can successfully invoke PUT on a
resource, then a GET on that same resource will be the stuff that you PUT
(assuming no other actions occurred in-between).

However, PUT is not allowed on many resources, specifically those resources
that only exist as a synthesis of other resources.  The source links, which
were present in the original HTTP/1.1 proposal and later transformed into
a property in 2518, tell the client how it can edit that resource given that
authoring on the same URI is not possible, period.

....Roy