From: Adam Freeman [mailto:afreeman@lightsurf.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 30, 2001 1:03 PM
To: Eric Sedlar; WebDAV
Subject: RE: GETSRC & MULTIPUT

Hello,
1)  new methods (GETSRC, READ, WRITE) should be avoided if possible.  There
are plenty of methods in webdav already.
2)  webdav turns a website into a file system.  What does webdav seem to be
missing?  A good clean concept of a soft link.
3)  what webdav needs is something analogous to a soft link in a file
system.  The soft link resource can have a different set of properties than
the original resource.
4)  if you start from the file system concept, then you think about how
webdav should make this look transparent to the client (just like a soft
link in the file system would look but it might have a different set of
properties on it than another soft link or the original file)
5)  Using webdav currently, I could mimic this by using PUT on a .url file
(that links to the original source) and then using PROPPATCH on that .url
file.  PROPFIND then returns a different set of properties for that .url
file than the original resource but GET returns the original source bits.
This works with mod_dav.so.
@m