RE: Ideas: GETSRC & MULTIPUT

You know, you can turn that idea on its head and it makes sense.  With
dynamic content and something like a GETSRC method, the only thing you can
do with the dynamically-generated content is GET it.

This is the way a lot of dynamic content actually seem to work:  e.g. the
file is the .jsp file, the "real" content of the file is pretty much the
source code.  Permissions on the .jsp file determine who can read or write
it.  With this view of things, PROPPATCH, PROPFIND, PUT all affect the .jsp
file.  The only thing that differs between a .jsp file and a .txt file in
the same directory is that an innocent GET request returns dynamic content
in the .jsp case.

I agree that when dynamic content is generated certain other ways, e.g.
multiple source files which compile together to form a program that is run
out of cgi-bin, the situation is much different.  Both GETSRC and the
Microsoft solution (translate header) are not very well suited to the
multiple-source-file solution on the face of it.  I guess it's an issue that
sometimes it makes most sense to use the same URL for both source and
result, and sometimes it makes most sense not to.

lisa