Re: Ideas: GETSRC & MULTIPUT

On Mon, Oct 29, 2001 at 04:17:35PM -0800, Jim Whitehead wrote:
> > How would you get the properties of the "source" resource?
>
> In this model it's not a different resource, so you'd use PROPFIND. If you
> want information about the src, then dav:srccontentlength, dav:srcetag,
> dav:srccreationdate, dav:srclastmodified... properties would need to be
> defined.
>
> - Jim

I would find this hard to swallow. I am uncomfortable about a CGI-BIN
script and the output of the script being called the same resource in
WebDAV. All of WebDAV would have to be carefully reworked to get this
concept in. And what about CGI-BIN scripts which took parameters
or things from the URL? The following URLs could all be the same
CGI-BIN script

    /cgi-bin/foo
    /cgi-bin/foo/bar
    /cgi-bin/foo?name=bar

Does GETSRC on all three return the same CGI-BIN script? Does a LOCK
on /cgi-bin/foo also lock the other two as well? etc. I just feels
messy to me.

I personally think the output of a script and the script itself
are different resources. DeltaV for example uses different URLs
for all the version resources etc. Using a different scheme
suddenly in WebDAV feels against the grain.

Alan