RE: Digest Authentication

The policy makes very good sense. Sending passwords in the clear
is one of the major causes of compromised passwords. If  password
is compromised it is likely that the effect will compromise applications
beyond just WebDav because many users share passwords across applications.

The excuses given for not supporting digest were unconvincing. You
have an application that is not HTTP 1.1 compliant, so fix the thing.

WebDav is not going to proceed to standards status in any standards
group I have influence in if BASIC is the only mandatory to implement
authentication scheme.

In the IETF it will be subject to Jeff Schiller's veto on the IESG.

In the W3C I will point the director to the IESG policy and the reason
for which it was made. I don't think that you are going to persuade
the W3C director to second guess the IETF on the issue.

		Phill