Re: trouble connecting to IIS5 from OS X PB

"Benn, Paul" wrote:

> PROPFIND / HTTP/1.1 User-Agent: fetch/1.0 Darwin/1.2 (Power Macintosh)
> Accept: */* Host: clab-c1-21.win2ktest.lab.netapp.com:80 Depth: 0  Frame: 7
> server -> client  1077  _AP___
> HTTP/1.1 411 Length Required

Seems pretty clear: IIS5 wants a Content-Length: 0 if you don't have a message
body.  This seems awkward, but I'm not actually sure it violates the specs.
2518/8.1 says:

     A client may choose not to submit a request body.  An empty PROPFIND
     request body MUST be treated as a request for the names and values of
     all properties.

But in 2616/4.4 (which discusses how to determine the length of the body), the
only way I see to infer that no body is present is to know that the message
MUST NOT have a body (e.g., if it's a GET request or a HEAD response), or else
to see that the server closed the connection after the message (does not work
for requests).  So I think IIS5 is probably within its rights to require
forgiving, and assume that no Content-Length: and no Transfer-Encoding: implies
no body.

--
|John Stracke    | http://www.ecal.com |My opinions are my own.|