RE: Proposal for marshalling property type information

"Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de> wrote:
> Now I'm tempted to agree that these should be returned. A minor
> issue is with DAV:getlastmodified, because it's format isn't
> xs:dateTime, meaning that we have to define a datatype for it in
> the spec. That's why I'd still prefer to leave them out.

Whatever, the set of relevant properties is so small I don't think there is
a problem either way.

> > > I see. Maybe this should be put onto the issues list then (for
> > > resolution in RFC2518).
> >
> > What is the issue? I don't think that there is any great harm to
> > interop if
> > some servers respond with 200OK and others return 207MultiStatus
> > with 200OK
> > for each response.
>
> The issue is that after reading the spec (and tracing IIS), authors
> of client software might think that they'll always get a 207 which
> apparently isn't the case (so I think this should be clarified).

"...and tracing IIS..." thanks for the smile<g>

I agree that clarification is good.  As an aside, I wonder what a client
would do if it received an unexpected 200 OK back from a PROPPATCH -- would
a reasonable implementation really signal a failure?

> > > Do you think it would be a problem to require the 207 <multistatus>
> > > response in this case?
> >
> > You may get pushback from some server writers.
>
> Well, unless somebody suggests a better approach, I'll have to live with
> that.

Maybe you can get a few minutes in the London meeting to gauge feedback.
The problem, of course, is that if people don't like it, they won't
implement it.

Regards,
Tim