Re: Source: header

   From: John Stracke <francis@ecal.com>

   Keith Wannamaker wrote:

   > Recently I worked to add support to Xythos Storage Server for
   > remote COPY destinations.  To maximize flexibility, Xythos goes
   > a step farther and adds support for a "Source:" header.
   > It is hoped the group might consider adding this header to a
   > future revision of RFC 2518.

   Um...why? What does it add that you can't express with Destination:?

I'm guessing that Keith added this to handle the case where you are
copying between two servers, and only the destination server has
implemented the COPY request.  In addition, it is more likely that
the destination server knows what live properties it handles, and
therefore is more likely to handle the COPY better.

Arguably, this is how 2518 should have done it in the first place,
since the real work is being done on the Destination and therefore the
request should have been directed at the Destination with the Source
as a parameter, but I'm sure that the 2518 authors had their reasons (:-).