RE: Authentication in existing WebDAV servers

Yes the spec absolutely bans the use of basic over an unsecure connection.
Frankly I hate language like this. If people want to do really stupid things
that don't effect interoperability then that should be their business.

However it was made clear to us that the absence of the previous language
would cause problems in our standardization.

So the language is in the spec.

Personally I like requiring that everyone support Digest. This is important
for interoperability. You have to have some minimum guaranteed level of
security interoperability. However beyond that I think people should be
allowed to be as stupid as they want. If they want to send Basic in the
clear, if they want to avoid using authentication at all, that is their
business.

So long as people who do want to do the right thing can do the right thing
then I'm happy.

		Yaron