RE: why URL protection is not feasible when you version collectio ns

Geoff, if
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/1999JulSep/0359.html
doesn't convince you why it is we won't handle 302s then frankly we aren't
going to be able to convince you.

The bottom line is, baring a change in policy (which is always possible)
Office and products like it will refuse to enable "save" functionality with
any server that allows locked files to be moved. The ramifications on the
user experience (NOT THE DIFFICULTY OF CODING) is simply too high.

Having spent a long time as a PM at MS I can tell you exactly how the
conversation will go:

Gee, so you're telling me that the user loads a document, locks it, wants to
manipulate it through other tools and randomly it can just... move? What the
hell are we supposed to do? Put up a dialog "Hello Dear User, sorry to
disturb you, but for some reason the file you are editing has been moved,
please don't panic, it is still locked, but um.. yeah... it's in this new
place now. Please make sure you remember this when you try to access it from
some place else."

The support costs alone for dealing with the pissed off users would rob us
of any profit on that sale of Office. The worst part is that most users
won't be calling because they hate the fact that their locked file was
moved. They will be calling because they didn't understand the dialog, went
to play with their file and it was gone! They will call to ask where the
hell it went. Which means that the poor support tech has to figure out if he
is dealing with a file system problem, an Office problem, a server problem,
or what have you. I'm already having nightmares about the support costs.

As I said in section 4.7.1 of
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/1998OctDec/0305.html:

When a company sells client software it usually has to give away a certain
amount of free support. If a user picks up the phone to use their free
support all the profit on that sale is generally negated as a function of
the cost of providing help services.

As such any sane Office PM is going to "just say no"(tm).

BTW, I make no guarantees. I don't work for Office. I just work with them. I
am only passing on to you my own experience in having worked with them.

So, just to re-iterate, this isn't about coding difficulty. This is about
user experience. No matter what the group passes, no matter what the
standard says, there is absolutely 0% chance that any sane client developer
is going to give their users a bad user experience. If the protocol mandates
it then the developer has no alternative but to either be non-compliant or
to use another protocol. How about we don't put the poor client developers
into that position?

			Yaron