Re: Can you move a locked file?

On Tue, 26 Oct 1999, John Stracke wrote:
> "Yaron Goland (Exchange)" wrote:
>
> > My user's explicit goal is to prevent anyone, anywhere from have any ability
> > to manipulate their "private data worlds" in anyway.
>
> Uh...isn't that what access control is for?

I don't think so. Access control is long-term, locks are
shorter/transitory.

I totally agree with Yaron here: if I'm editing a document (with a lock),
then it sure as hell better not move on me. That is just annoying and
wrong.

This whole business about the server retaining redirects after a move of a
locked resource seems really and arbitrarily complex. Why support
something like that? Just say a server MUST refuse a move of a locked
resource rather than "well, it might or it might not, but you really won't
know unless you try."

And if this nonsense does go thru as a "consensus change" to the move/lock
behavior, then the default should be to refuse the move. There was a
suggestion that an app should set a flag to state that it can't support
locked resources that may move -- that's backwards since the current
behavior is "I lock it and it stays there until I unlock it." In other
words, an app should say "I can support you [the server] moving this
locked resource on me and sending me a 301 response."
(I still don't like it though because of the additional complexity on the
client, which people seem to be ignoring, much to Yaron's dismay; who on
this list is actually writing client software/tools/apps?)

Personally, I'll refuse the darn move. I'm not going to start recording
all these redirects on the server.

Cheers,
-g

--