versioning and don't have to do it with locking. Locking is an access control
mechanism for serializing updates to a resource. It is not at all the same thing
as checkout.

"Chris Kaler (Exchange)" <ckaler@Exchange.Microsoft.com> on 10/19/99 02:51:01 PM

To:   Jim Amsden/Raleigh/IBM@IBMUS, w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
cc:

Subject:  RE: One lock per resource per person?

-----Original Message-----
From: jamsden@us.ibm.com [mailto:jamsden@us.ibm.com]
Sent: Friday, October 15, 1999 12:32 PM
To: w3c-dist-auth@w3.org

<ja>
A principal can only have one lock on a resource. If the lock is exclusive,
then
there can only be one. If the lock is shared, then getting another shared
lock
would not give owning principal any further capability. I don't have the
spec if
front of me, but I believe this is spelled out.
</ja>

<ck/> I think this is too restrictive.  Using SCC systems today, I can
      create multiple shared locks against the same resource.  In
      general you can do this by "checking it out" multiple times, but
      the basic notion is that I may be engaged in parallel activities
      at my client even though I am the same principal.