RE: Version issues

I'd like to weigh in with Bruce for keeping Level 1 as simple as possible.
Xerox has several products that do linear versioning only, and versioning of
individual resources only, and have no use for workspaces that I can see.
The client always gets the tip revision unless it requests a particular
revision by id.  (There's no notion of a label that a client could assign.)
We'd like them to use WebDAV versioning, but it will be a hard sell if Level
1 forces them to implement a lot of stuff that they don't really need.

-----------

I'd like to describe the model used by one of these products, because it has
several features that may break your view of how version management works:

The user can decide, when creating a document, whether it is versioned or
not.

Assuming that the user specifies that a given document is versioned:

Only simple linear versioning is supported.  Only individual documents can
be versioned.

Revisions are immutable.  That is, once a revision is created, it cannot be
modified.

The server assigns identifiers to revisions, and has the notion of the tip
revision.  Clients cannot assign labels to revisions.

There is no checkout operation.  There is only a "new revision" operation on
the document (on the version series), which results in a new revision being
created at the tip of the series, with the content submitted with the
request; if the document was locked, only the lock owner can do a "new
revision", and the "new revision" operation also unlocks it.

The user can specify how many revisions are to be saved.  This number can be
changed at any time.  Once that number of revisions exist, when a new
revision is created, one is thrown away from the beginning of the list.
There is no trace left of any revision that has been thrown away in this
way.  Version history information is saved only for the most recent n
revisions, where n is the number of revisions the user asked to have saved.

Only one report can be generated.  It contains the revision id, revision
date, user who created the revision, and comments for each revision of the
document.

--Judy

Judith A. Slein
Xerox Corporation