RE: Version issues

Okay, I see our disconnect.  You are assuming that, even in Level 1, we
want some method of creating / identifying a logical *set* of resources,
such as all revisions that made up a particular milestone or release.
In the DMS world there is no such grouping ability; every file is on its
own.  In the web site arena, however, I can see some value in this
grouping concept.

A simple versioning client and/or server, I believe, will not generally
implement workspaces if given a choice.  If that is true, then I would
vote to leave workspaces in Level 2.  If with my particular product I
want only basic versioning, but the ability to create sets (workspaces)
is important, then I can implement Level 1 versioning and add workspaces
without the rest of Level 2.  Now my client and my server can take
advantage of the ability to use workspaces, but other peoples' Level 1
clients can still make use of my server.  Workspaces are a useful
"utility" not a required piece of functionality.

So I vote workspaces remain in Level 2.

>>> <jamsden@us.ibm.com> 02/17/99 01:44PM >>>

Bruce,
I'm sorry to hear you weren't feeling well, but welcome back!

No, you're getting it just fine. For your item 1 below, the default
workspace does just what you want. You never even need to know its
there.
Recall the default workspace has a revision selection rule containing
checkedout and latest.

For item 2, the model currently allows access through a specific
revision
name which temporarily overrides the workspace, so this can be done
too.

If this was all you wanted, then probably workspaces for level 1 would
be
overkill. But, lets look at some other simple scenarios and see what
would
happen.

Say a development organization finishes work on  a milestone and wants
some
way to refer to the proper revisions. When work continues, these
revisions
won't necessarily be the latest revision because the resources may
have
changed in some appropriate way. Configurations solve this in level 2,
but
a common scenario for level 1 might be to come up with a label for the
release and use this label on every revision that participates.

So now every time you want to get the R1 revision for any of these
resources, you have to remember the revision name and provide it on
each
access. That's not so bad though, and is the same thing as remembering
workspace that has checkedout, R1, and latest in its revision
selection
rule. So far this is a wash.

Now say there's an R2 of the project as a whole. Some of the resources
changed and some of them didn't. You could label all the participant
revisions with R2 and that would work. But, after a while specific
revisions might have a lot of labels on them making the revision
history of
many resource hard to manage. In addition users have to remember
something
new, use label R2 instead of R1. An alternative is to just label the
ones
that changed with R2 and put checkedout, R2, R1, and latest in the
revision
selection rule. Then you'll get the right versions without remembering
R1,
R2, ..., you only have to remember the same workspace you were using
before
the revisions changed. All users get updated just by updating their
workspace. The default workspace revision selection rule can be changed
so that clients that can't or don't specify a revision will get the
right
revisions too. You could do this with default labels, but it would take
lot more work to update a property on every resource resetting its
default
when you can just add a single entry to a revision selection rule.

Workspaces just provide flexibility and ease of use for level 1, not
any
new functionality. I think they make the clients simpler and simplify
the
user's interaction with the server. So they are useful for level 1
even
though there aren't any activities or configurations.

"Bruce Cragun" <BCragun.ORM2-1.OREM2@GW.Novell.com> on 02/17/99
03:10:40 PM