RE: Advanced Collections conference call minutes

I would appreciate it if the collection meeting minutes were edited to say
something along the lines of: "Yaron, at the December 1998 IETF, stated that
he believed that no-passthrough was the equivalent of URL munging."

People generally do URL munging to save themselves a round trip. Instead of
trying to search for the resource you want to execute a method against, just
tack the search request to the end of the URL and let the server handle
everything for you. In the case of no-passthrough instead of discovering the
address of a resource which you can use to manage the reference you just use
the no-passthrough header. No-passthrough = true and you are editing the
reference resource. No-passthrough = false and you are editing the resource
being referenced. The whole thing smells too much like the derefencing
mistake WebDAV tried early on (see:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/w3c-dist-auth/1998OctDec/0074.html).

On the other hand, one could look at no-passthrough as an argument to the
method which specifies if the method should be reflected or not.

It would be an interesting exercise to design a mechanism which allows you
to create new names for existing resources and then see what kind of errors
you have to handle because you went off-line. I bet the design issues would
be similar to weak references. I also bet the design would be a lot simpler
than the current referential resource design. So many interesting
problems... so little time.

						Yaron