Re: rfc2518, MKCOL and parent directory

ccjason@us.ibm.com wrote:

> rfc2518 8.3.1 talks about MKCOL and says...
>
>    [...] For example, if a request to create
>    collection /a/b/c/d/ is made, and neither /a/b/ nor /a/b/c/ exists,
>    the request must fail.
>
> That last sentence (For example...) strikes me as wrong.  It seems
> to suggest that if one of these existed, then you might not need to
> fail the request.

The sentence is correct, but confusing.  (I think I had to go back over it
the first time I read it, too.) I agree that's that what it seems to
suggest, but it doesn't actually mean that.  It's just giving one scenario
where the request must fail; it doesn't say anything about when it should
succeed.

It might be best to simplify the example, changing "and neither /a/b/ nor
/a/b/c/ exists" to "and /a/b/c/ does not exist".

--
|John Stracke    | My opinions are my own | S/MIME & HTML OK  |