RE: use of attribute to qualify property value

Caught by the spam filter.

- Jim

-----Original Message-----
From: Geoffrey Clemm [mailto:geoffrey.clemm@rational.com]
Sent: Friday, May 21, 1999 7:50 PM
To: ietf-dav-versioning@w3.org; w3c-dist-auth@w3.org
Subject: [Moderator Action] RE: use of attribute to qualify property
value

At 09:57 AM 5/20/99 -0700, Chris Kaler (Exchange) wrote:
>The reason we had this was because there are different "types" of histories
>that are available and different ways to "view" the history.  We modeled
>this (in this draft) as a property, and rather than having "n*m"
properties,
>we used a qualifier.

I agree that there are different ways to view the history.  But I believe
that a general query mechanism such as DASL would be a better
way to provide these reports, rather than a set of predefined property
types and attributes.

Until the DASL query mechanisms are defined, we get at least some
level of report customizability through standard PROPFIND mechanisms.

>I, personally, don't think that modeling history as a resource is viable
>since there are several different ways that I want to view the history.
>History information should be an XML "report".

The results of PROPFIND is an XML report.  It has the advantage of
being understood by all browsers that implement PROPFIND, rather than
being limited to just those browsers that understand the DeltaV extensions.