RE: Clarification of URI vs. Resource

It's true that DocuShare objects can be in more than one collection, and
they want clients to be able to find out all the collections an object
belongs to.  But I think the last time we had this conversation that wasn't
their main concern.

Really they wanted to be able to use something more like a URN as the
request-URI -- something that was not location-dependent.

Judith A. Slein
Xerox Corporation
jslein@crt.xerox.com
(716)422-5169
800 Phillips Road 105/50C
Webster, NY 14580

eid=22278

No, there were no ? in it. The URLs do look like this, though:

http://docushare.parc.xerox.com/Get/File-214
http://docushare.parc.xerox.com/Get/Collection-1273

and the issue isn't over 'cgi' vs. non-mapped cgi, but rather that
a given resource can (sometimes) be in more than one collection.

By the way, you said:

# But, according to RFC 2396, everything to the right of the "?" in a URI is
# to be interpreted by the resource, which is identified by the text to the
# left of the "?".

but RFC 2396 says no such thing. http://host/path?query1 and
http://host/path
are different resources. The only meaning of the 'query' is in relative
URL parsing, and the fact that some media types (e.g., text/html)
have algorithms that perform URL construction using the query syntax.

Larry