RE: Clarification of URI vs. Resource

Yes, except that I'd prefer to keep this discussion about identifiers
separate from referencing, which is addressed in the advanced collections
spec.  Actually, the 09 WebDAV spec says that DELETE on a collection deletes
the collection and all of its member resources.  If the spec gets rewritten
to treat URIs as collection members, that might result in the behavior you
want for deletion -- that only the member URIs would get deleted with the
collection, not the resources they identify.  Then, as you say, something
different has to happen when you delete the last collection that has a
member URI identifying a particular resource.

In the advanced collections spec, where references are discussed, things
already behave more like what you describe.  It's the reference that is a
member of the collection, so when the collection gets deleted, the
references (not the resources they point to) get deleted with the
collection.  So you can never delete a resource by deleting a reference to
it -- not even by deleting the last reference to it.

Judith A. Slein
CR&T/ADSTC
jslein@crt.xerox.com
8*222-5169