RE: property value clarification

At 03:56 PM 10/29/98 PST, Jim Whitehead wrote:
>...My sense of the working group is there does not currently exist any
>consensus on this topic.  Nor, given the depth of the issues, is it likely
>that any consensus could be achieved quickly.  My recommendation is to leave
>this issue unresolved, and be silent on this topic within the spec.

I concur, with one exception, namely the xml:lang attribute.  This
attribute must be recorded in order to provide international support.
Otherwise there is no way to do correct equality comparisons on properties.

I asked specifically about this attribute in email on 7/27, the sole reply
(8/5, from EJW) indicated that it would be preserved.

It's very important that this attribute be preserved, otherwise DAV is
limited to English language values only.  (Or to be more precise, you could
store non-English values, but you couldn't operate on them reliably.)

But as for all other attributes, I recall Yaron saying that the WebDAV data
model is *not* XML, rather XML is merely one (of possibly many) on the wire
transport encodings for WebDAV values.

If this is indeed the concensus opinion, then  WebDAV is not obligated to
support every feature of the XML data model.  It is XML that is at the
service of WebDAV, not the other way around.

As for typing, The DASL group is not addressing it, at least not in the
first version.

best regards

Jim

http://www.parc.xerox.com/jdavis/