Re: Update to draft-ietf-webdav-dublin-core

Ron Daniel wrote:

> on section 2.1
>    The datamodel working group of the Dublin Core has recommended that
>    the URI  http://purl.org/dc/elements/1.0/   be the one for the XML
>    namespace used for the 15 Dublin Core elements.  That decision has
>    not been ratified by the community as a whole, but it might be better
>    to replace the ftp.isi.edu URL with this one.

That sounds reasonable.  Any guess on how long it'll take to get ratified?

> Assume an XML document describes itself with some embedded
> DC.
>    It is allowed, but not required, to have a dc:Identifier that holds
> the
>    URI of the XML document.  I'm not sure of WebDAV's handling of

> implicit
>    identifiers, so you may want to say something on this point.

I'm not sure what you mean by implicit identifiers.  An XML document stored
as a WebDAV property does not have a URI--WebDAV properties are not
resources.  Does that answer the question?

> 2.3
>    The Dublin Core datamaldel WG has been looking into issues of
> repetition of
>    property values. That working group is making a schema for basic and
> for
>    qualified Dublin Core using RDF.

OK, then probably the best move is for WebDAV to store the properties in
whatever format DC uses (since RDF is expressed in XML already).

>    So, while the Dublin Core assumes some capabilities that are more
> general
>    than WebDAV,

Actually, WebDAV properties can be any XML you like; the <ol><li> in my
Draft is specific to the Draft.

> 2.4 Subelements
>    The DC commuity has not completed its work on specifying qualifiers.

That's why the Draft says:

     Since subelements are not yet standardized, this document cannot
     yet give a definitive answer on how to integrate them into
     WebDAV; a future document may be needed.

>    We can talk about what is going on, in case the WebDAV group wants to
> try
>    and future-proof WebDAV against what may be coming there.

I'm pretty sure WebDAV itself doesn't really need new capabilities here; we
just need to define a way of expressing DC elements in the framework we've
got.

|John (Francis) Stracke    |My opinions are my own.|S/MIME supported |
|Software Retrophrenologist|=========================================|
|Netscape Comm. Corp.      | Illiterate? Write today for free help!  |
|francis@netscape.com      |                                         |