Re: Optional Backpointers from Targets to References

At 04:27 PM 9/15/98 PDT, John Stracke wrote:
>Jim Amsden wrote:
>
>> This will require ACLs on individual properties,

I think there is some misunderstanding.  First, the property will be server
maintained, and hence exempt from access control.  Second, no one was
proposing to use ACLs on properties, except John, and I think he retracted
that.

Everyone agrees that backpointers have to be optional.  Not all server
implementors want this feature.  But some server implementors want it very
much.  For some of them, it is both useful and cheap.  It costs WebDAV
nothing to define this property, so that all such servers can be
interoperable.