RE: Meta Data Redux

Metadata, as specified in my proposals, is attached to a resource. So
data attached to a versioned resource is attached to that resource
alone. If one wishes to place meta data on the whole tree then one
should attach meta data to the tree handle resource. Of course,
individual pieces of meta-data are free to override this behavior.

The values accessible via meta* have behavior that is defined on a
meta-data by meta-data basis. The client only knows about tokens and
values, that is it. So, for example, let us say the dublin:author
meta-data token existed and a client tries to change it on a versioned
resource. If the server accepts the token then it also accepts
responsibility for enforcing its behavior, which would probably be
defined that once the resource is versioned, this value can not be
changed. However that is an issue for Dublin Core to solve.

The same logic applies to links. It is up to the person defining the
link type to specify its behavior. Thus a server would probably not
allow someone to delete a DAV.Versioning.NextResource link from a
versioned resource, but that is the server's business. Repositories
would actually be fine with this behavior.

So your question will be answered on a meta-data by meta-data basis.
Since DAV isn't really in the meta-data defining business, these issues
are largely out of scope.

		Yaron